Thursday, October 4, 2012

DNF: Mystic City by Theo Lawrence

I wrote a post awhile back about negative reviews, and how I don't review if I don't finish, and a very wise blogger pointed out that knowing what a blogger doesn't like can be valuable to publishers and authors too. Then another blogger mentioned she did a did not finish post and I thought it was a great idea. So, here we go:

Mystic City (Mystic City, #1)
Source: netgalley



Why I did not finish:
I didn't hate it, but it was one of the books that I just had no burning desire to pick back up.  Something about the fantasy elements just didn't resonate with me, but that said, I don't do fantasy a whole lot. I like some but definitely not all. I just felt confused at the world set up and exactly what was going on, and it didn't work for me.
I didn't connect well with Aria and I think that is the ultimate problem.

Stopped at: 10%


That isn't to say that the writing is poor or the characters are poorly constructed, it's personal on my end.
I'd love to see if you have a great review of any of these books and what you loved about them.


12 comments:

  1. Bummer! I am planning to read this soon so of course I only want to see positive gushing reviews of it. I will hopefully enjoy it more as I do like fantasy a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that's too bad. I love fantasy, though I tend to get confused with the world building a lot. And sometimes they are slow. I'm curious to see how I'll find this one. Thanks for your honest opinion! :)

    ~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, no! I'm sorry you didn't finish it, especially after I have heard such good things about it. Thanks for sharing, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you didn't connect with this. I love fantasy and some high fantasy and this was a nice blend. This was a total five cups of coffee rating for me, and I will share why on Monday. So glad you shared your thoughts. I will say as Aria regained her memories she became quite kick-ass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, this upsets me so much! this book is so far near the top on my TBR list, but I'm slightly worried now :( Do you think others will still enjoy it despite you not? blah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the fantasy aspect can go either way .. I'm sorry that this one didn't quite do it for you! I'm going to try to get this one from my library and give it a shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear this didn't work out for you. I quite like the sound and I saw a lot of reviews from people who liked it, so I think I will give it a shot :) Thanks for the honesty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your friend made a very good point about why dnf reviews are important. I need to do one of these posts too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been going back and forth about a DNF post....you make a good point about why they could be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for letting us know of your thoughts! I can understand that it's not easy to keep reading when there are elements that you do not feel a resonance with. I hope you'll have a more enjoyable experience with the next book that you read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for letting us know. I still expect a lot of this book. I hope you'll like it. I agree with you I don't like writing bad reviews and mostly I don't.

    Tanja @Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually like DNF and negative reviews. Not everyone is going to like a book and I would like to know what makes a book so bad. I thought I would never write a DNF review on a book before either but I did. It was on a self-published book by a pre-teen though and needless to say I was hounded down by quite a few people who thought I was in the wrong for being so negative. As for this book, I did hear it gets better later on in the book. I'm not sure if I want to sit and wait and see how long it will take before I feel that it got better. There are so many other books out there I can be reading while I wait.

    Thank you for your honest review.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)