Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh


Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
Nevermore by Kelly Creagh
Cheerleader Isobel Lanley is horrified when she is paired with Varen Nethers for an English project, which is due—so unfair—on the day of the rival game. Cold and aloof, sardonic and sharp-tongued, Varen makes it clear he’d rather not have anything to do with her either. But when Isobel discovers strange writing in his journal, she can’t help but give this enigmatic boy with the piercing eyes another look.
Soon, Isobel finds herself making excuses to be with Varen. Steadily pulled away from her friends and her possessive boyfriend, Isobel ventures deeper and deeper into the dream world Varen has created through the pages of his notebook, a realm where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life.
As her world begins to unravel around her, Isobel discovers that dreams, like words, hold more power than she ever imagined, and that the most frightening realities are those of the mind. Now she must find a way to reach Varen before he is consumed by the shadows of his own nightmares.
His life depends on it.


Published in US: Aug 2010
1st in series
Source: library

My Review:

    I was really drawn to the premise of this story and while I liked the characters, the plot just was not for me. That said, I couldn't put it down even in the parts that seemed to drag a bit. In the more complex parts, I think it was all me because I think I just didn't get it. Probably because I've never quite understood Poe and I skipped over the discussions about the work, and it correlated with the plot. 
    While I think that Varen was awesome, and I appreciate that Isobel defies the popular status and genuinely wants to be a nice person, Gwen was really my favorite. I love her eagerness, bluntness and wish that she could have held a more critical part in the plot. 
     I was pretty lost at the end, and was kinda let down that there wasn't a complete happy ever after, but I suppose since its a first book, that is understandable. 
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot about this book but didn't have a chance to read it yet!
    I hope that I'll soon!

    Great review

    Tanja @ Ja čitam, a ti?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I kind of love goth boys, so I'll have to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm currently reading this book and have to admit that while I find some parts interesting, there's something about this book that I'm just not enjoying as much as I thought it would. I love the idea behind the novel, and Varen is very sexy, but there's something that's lacking for me. That said, I'm hoping the last couple of chapters will turn things around for me. Enjoyed reading your thoughts on this Brandi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Felt the same way, but unfortunately last chapters only confused me more.

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to check this out last year but..I don't know. I just..sort of lost interest. But after reading your review, I know that it might not be 100% perfect but it's definitely interesting. I want to see why so many readers love this. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha-I got lost at the end too. I don't know why as I love Poe and I mostly enjoyed this book but it all got really confusing. I will still definitely be checking out the sequel though-maybe it will be clearer!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)