Thursday, February 9, 2012

Review: Exposed by Susan Vaught


Exposed
Exposed by Susan Vaught
Chan Shealy’s got most things going right in her life—straight A’s, a shot at the regional majorette championships in baton twirling, and the best best friend a girl could wish for. But after the football quarterback spreads a vicious lie about her, and the whole school decides she’s too trashy for words, Chan begins to wonder if the only place she’ll find love is online.
She’s careful. She follows all her parents’ rules, mostly anyway. A girl’s got to trust herself at a certain point, right? But what if your gut is telling you something that you’re just not hearing… until it’s too late?
From the moment Chan logs on and meets Paul, until the truth begins to show through, Susan Vaught sends readers on a fast-paced and gripping ride. Even when you know something bad will happen, you still might not see it coming…
Published in US in 2008
Source: library
My Review:

   This is a very realistic book about online predators, but it is also about much more. I haven't really read much about a teen dealing with an STD, and I think that its really important to talk about, because no matter how gross or uncomfortable, it is REAL LIFE. Sometimes things in fiction can make something in real life easier to deal with and hopefully that will make someone less ashamed of themselves, and realize that even though a mistake, it can happen, and you can still live your life.
   That said, the main character was sympathetic in some ways. She did in a sense have it all, but she also had a broken heart, an STD, and attracts the wrong sort of attention online, so really, she didn't. I didn't connect with her personally the best, but I still was invested in what happened to her, and I saw the bad things coming and didn't want it to.
   This book does relationships really well. I love the realistic, but strong connection she has with her sister. She's dramatic, bratty at times, but underneath vulnerable and young. I love it when Chan's protective instincts kicks in, and the soft moments where she lets her in her bed after a nightmare, and other ways she looks out for her. I also love her bff Devin, it makes me long for a friend like that. As a mom, I can totally see her side of the story, but remembering childhood, I can also see how stifling that could be. I think the perfect balance was met with her father though. It is hard how she used to be ashamed of his size, but now she's seeing past that to the great man and dad that he is. I loved the moments with them together.
    The plot was fast moving and kept me interested, especially after the first few chapters of set up. I liked Vaught's writing style and want to read more of her stuff.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see authors dealing with this subject, I'm hoping our library has a copy of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the comment above. I like it when an author deals with a difficult subject.
    Haven't heard of this one before, thanks

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! (I always try to visit your blog back) I love links, so feel free to link to your blog or a post you like.
Sorry, but I am award and tag free zone, I do not have the time to return. Comments are reward enough :)